Perfection from tradition

  • Wilhelm Kneitz AG, Wirsberg looks back on one hundred years of history. Since its foundation in 1912 the family-run company has always known how to deal successfully with difficulties and changes on the market and to re-invent itself again and again.

    Follow us on a short journey through one hundred years of textile history.


  • 1912

  • In August 1912 Wilhelm Kneitz founded his plush weaving mill, which was officially established on 1st December. The produced textiles were primarily exported to England.

  • 1920

  • The resumption of exports to England ensures the company’s continuity after the end of the First World War and allows production capacity to grow constantly.

  • 1931

  • Due the world economic crisis and the inflation of the British Pound, Wilhelm Kneitz KG laid its focus on the German market. The commitment in England was stopped at exactly the right moment.

  • 1939

  • Outbreak of the Second World War. The plush weaving mill was acquisitioned to produce military textiles to support the war. Parts of the factory buildings were transformed into a production line for an outsourced motorcycle factory from Nuremberg.

  • 1950

  • As Wilhelm Kneitz AG, the plush weaving mill resumed work. Henceforward the company was led jointly by its founder Wilhelm and his son Herbert Kneitz. Again, the first orders after the end of the war came from England.

  • 1966

  • Company founder Wilhelm Kneitz dies. His son Herbert continues in solo leadership.

  • 1969

  • Founding of the subsidiary company Herbert Kneitz GmbH in Bad Mitterndorf (Austria), which is now independent.

  • 1970

  • By introducing the first raschel-velours machine, Wilhelm Kneitz AG read the signs of the times. The company benefited from the increasing demand of furniture velours and, thanks to the high textile quality, achieved national market leadership.

  • 1972

  • With Wilhelm Kneitz II., the third generation of the family enters the company management. The continuing success enabled  production to constantly expand.

  • 1985

  • After essential modernisation of the machinery, Wilhelm Kneitz AG launches its production of automotive textiles for Audi. Thanks to the development of this new market, the company survived the upcoming textile crisis of the nineties almost without negative impact.

  • 1996

  • Wilhelm Kneitz AG engages in the development and production of technical textiles for the first time.

  • 2001

  • The company rises to become a premium manufacturer of automotive textiles and supplies Audi, VW and BMW.

  • 2008

  • Daughter Sibylla and son Ralf-Hebert join the supervisory board as the fourth generation and continue with the tradition of a family-run company. Meanwhile, Seat and Skoda were won and added to the list of prominent automotive customers.

  • 2010

  • Due to the increasing demand for automotive textiles, the production of home and furniture textiles was permanently shut down.

  • 2011

  • The installation of a 1,500 m² solar power system for internal power supply on the roof of the company building; Kneitz sets another strong example for active environment protection.

  • 2012

  • Wilhelm Kneitz AG celebrates its 100th birthday and will continue to reinvent itself to live up to its own standards.

WILHELM KNEITZ AG
Textilwerke

Herbert-Kneitz-Straße 32
D-95339 Wirsberg